As the managing partner, Javad wears several hats. In addition to running firm operations, he oversees our immigration services. Javad, along with Jim, litigates cases where an individual’s civil rights have been violated. Javad is also known to give presentations in the St. Louis community about immigration and civil rights.
Javad worked nine years with the Department of Justice before moving on to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the National Security Law Division. Javad used his expertise in immigration law to prosecute terrorists, terrorist financiers, and aliens engaged in espionage and other criminal acts. He worked closely with federal, state, and international law enforcement and intelligence agencies. He is well versed in high profile, complex litigation. Javad is the only private bar attorney in America who has served in senior immigration positions in both the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor.
Javad was chosen to work for Missouri Senator Jean Carnahann in Washington, D.C., during his final semester of law school, and then selected to participate in the federal government’s Presidential Management Fellows program- a prestigious two-year fellowship at a government agency that provides extensive leadership and policy training.
Javad and his wife, Mollie, who works at a large St. Louis based law firm, reside in a rehabbed, 125-year-old home in the Shaw neighborhood with their two daughters. Javad and Mollie’s wedding included a tour of the world’s largest brewery, Ted Drewes frozen custard, a midnight Imo’s pizza bar, and Journey’s Don’t Stop Believin’.
Washington School of Law – J.D. (2002); Congressional and Administrative Law Clinic
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – B.S., Biology and Psychology (1998)
Partner, Cantwell & Cantwell (2013-2014) Certifying Officer, U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Foreign Labor Certification (2010-2013) Associate Legal Advisor, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, National Security Law Division (2004-2010) Presidential Management Fellow, U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, National Security Unit (2003)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- International Institute St. Louis, Community Development Board
- Kegs for Kids Benefitting Toys for Tots
- Migrant & Immigrant Community Action (MICA) Project Advisor
- Phi Sigma Kappa Foundation, Executive Board
- Founder, Road to Status
- South City Preparatory Academy, Board
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND PRESS
Known for his expertise in immigration and civil rights, Javad is a frequent presenter at events sponsored by: Washington University School of Law, Washington University Brown School of Social Work, Trinity Presbyterian Church, Jewish Community Center, League of Women Voters, St. Louis University, Downtown TRex, and the Missouri Bar Association. Presentation topics include:
- Immigration in the Trump Era
- Immigration: 101
- Realties for students under new immigration administration
- Closing the immigration gap with technology
- Advocacy with police and Immigration authorities (with mica)
- Civil rights, police brutality, and qualified immunity
• U.S. Changes Mind About Deporting Farmington, Mo., Woman, St. Louis Post-Dispatch (June 23, 2014)
• How Municipalities in St. Louis County, Mo., Profit from Poverty., Washington Post (September 3, 2014)
ADMISSIONS AND DISTINCTIONS
Missouri Bar 2002
Illinois Bar 2012
Riverfront Times – 2021 Lawyer of the Year
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.